Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Sharing Your Experience


This week, I sent out the call for proposals for the February institute day. I am so excited that I have already received responses! But I am eagerly awaiting more -- YOURS in particular!

Let me offer a quick Q & A here:

What can I present? I don't do anything special in my class.
You don't have to do anything "special" at all! What do you do well? What are you really comfortable with? What do your students really respond to? What do your colleagues tell you they really like that you do? What have people asked you to share with them? THOSE are the things that are worthy of sharing at our institute day! What tool, site, app, etc. have you found really useful or that kids really respond to? That's worth sharing at our institute day! What lesson have you developed that is really engaging and meaningful for your students? That's worth sharing at our institute day!

I'm not very techy, so I can't present.
This institute day does not have to be all about technology! Think back to the great sessions last February from Laura DuBois talking about the principles in the book Teach Like a Pirate. Not techy! Or the highly informative session on poverty presented by our social workers? Not techy! Or the fun session to develop the 4 C's playing BreakoutEDU? Not techy! Is there a great education book you're read recently that the principles are worth sharing? Something you learned at at conference or from a grad class? Is there a philosophy you want to tell your co-workers about? These are all great ideas for breakout sessions!

I don't want to be a show-off.
Presenting a session at our February institute doesn't make you a show-off. It makes you a leader. The number one thing teachers say they like most about that institute day is that it highlights OUR teachers and focuses on OUR students. You couldn't ask for a more positive, personalized professional development day!

I get so nervous in front of crowds!
I get it! So do I! But the best thing about this institute day is that you are in a familiar and comfortable setting with people you know and who know you and who want to learn from you. You couldn't ask for a better environment to present in! Or ask a co-worker to present with you!

I want to present, but I'm not sure what to do!
Let me know and I can sit down with you and talk with you to help you discover something that would be great to share with everyone!

I'm ready to present! Where do I sign up?
Right here! I've been waiting for your response!

No comments:

Post a Comment