Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Digital Citizenship -- Digital Commerce

This post builds on the ideas shared in the article "Nine Themes of Digital Citizenship".

Theme number 2 of 9 is digital commerce, which is the electronic buying and selling of goods. I don;t know if you are anything like me, but a serious amount of my shopping is done online. I am a heavy Amazon Prime user, and I do almost all of my Christmas shopping online -- including ordering gift cards! Of course, I wasn't always that way because the ability to shop online didn't always exist or wasn't that easy to do. But now it is, and chances are digital commerce is only going to continue to grow in use as time goes on. It makes sense then to help kids understand digital commerce, even thought the kids we teach don't have credit cards or debit cards to make purchases. Concepts kids should know related to digital commerce include

  • Understanding how to recognize secure transactions (like looking for operational SSL)
  • Understanding how online purchases through established accounts work (like buying apps, upgrades in apps, music, or other items work with an account like iTunes that is already connected to a credit card)
  • Knowing the risks of sharing personal information on digital commerce sites -- which can be anything from harrowing identity theft to annoying spam email)
Here are some resources you can use to talk with students about digital commerce:
If you need help tackling this topic in your class, let me know! I'd love to help you teach this important topic to your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment