Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Coexisting with AI


via GIPHY

 As I look into the future of education, I see my time coming close to an end soon -- I am just a smidge over a year away from the next step in my life! But one thing I see heavily on the horizon and moving in quickly is AI. In January, I shared information about ChatGPT and shared some ideas about how to cope with AI if it hits the classroom. Since sharing that information, learning about AI and ChatGPT has been like drinking from a fire hose -- there is so much out there and it is moving and advancing very, very fast. It is now clear that teachers are going to have to learn how to coexist with AI. It's not a matter of if but when -- AI will be coming to your classroom probably sooner rather than later. As a Google school, this post should be of interest to all of us. TL;DR: Google Workspace is launching its own form of AI that will integrate with Gmail, Docs, Slides, Sheets, Meet, and Chat in an effort to streamline the work we do. Some AI is already used in Google Workspace, like Smart Compose, Smart Reply, and Summaries (have you see the summaries in Chat????), so it's no surprise it will be coming to the other applications we use. This means that teachers will have to shift how they talk about AI to their students -- instead of making it a "no go," it will have to be more of an ethical discussion and a critical thinking discussion -- What can I use this for? When should I use it? How can I make it my own? How can I fact check the information? How can I document the sources? How do I disclose when I use AI? To assist teachers with this, I am working on a page on my website devoted completely to AI resources and information. This will be something that teachers and students can use. I am also available to talk with you about AI as it hits your classroom to help you structure lessons or discussions to have with your students. In addition, whoever is the person that takes over the role of Instructional Technology Resource Teacher will need to be on top of AI and its impact on education, so I will be sure to closely work with that person (will it be YOU????????) to help him or her be as informed as possible.

Now, I would love to get some discussion and interaction on this post. What are your concerns when it comes to AI? What questions do you have about it? What do you want to help you manage AI in your classroom? Drop those comments below and I'll get you some cool stickers and gifts as well as answer your questions, address your concerns, and gather resources for you!

2 comments:

  1. I decided to redo the way I do essays. Students and I are gathering the quotes they can use together and hope to minimize the use of AI chat to actually write their paper for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great strategy! Even if they try to do some writing with AI, they will still have to do some critical thinking to find ways to fit the text evidence in the essay. It's like combining the best of both worlds!

      Delete